Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saddlebags and relocating the tail lights

I’ve received a couple of questions regarding the “need” to relocate the rear light assemblies when installing saddlebags. There are a lot of bag options available and the smaller bags will fit with the stock rear light assembly. When selecting bags I recommend thinking about what it is you want to store in the bags and taking some measurements so you can make sure you buy the right size. I went with a larger size bag because I wanted to be able to carry my jacket which, with armor, is pretty big. I had hoped to be able to carry my notebook in the saddlebags but this would have required a monster-sized bag. I also preferred the look of the slant bags to the standard bags but would have had more usable room with the standard configuration.

I really like the setup with the Tour Master bags; they provide the space I need and enough ‘extra’ room for water bottles, etc. on longer rides.

Reddit It |  Digg This | Add to del.icio.us

I'm reading: Saddlebags and relocating the tail lightsTweet this!

1 comment:

MikeyBoy said...

Hey everybody. So I ride a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 right now and like the blogger am looking into moving away from sport/enduro bikes. I love the look of the Sportster 1200 custom. It has cruiser soul with a sporty construction. I am a little pissed off about everyone calling sportsters "shirley davidsons" and "girls bike" all the time. Personally I think it is bull shit that a guy has to put down another guys bike to make himself feel more like a man. Regardless do people get a lot of crap for riding this bike? I want a light(less than 650 pounds) harley cruiser but I dont want to spend 15K. I looked into the Yamaha V Star 950 but it is a new bike and there are no used ones available. Also, I dont really like the look of it. The oil filter is just crammed down by the rear brake and the bike looks too "busy". I am looking for a used 06' or newer Sportster 1200 custom. They started making the bike fuel injected in 06' right? Anyways I would love some advice from a sportster owner.