Friday, August 24, 2007

Why the Nightster?

First, I have to admit I have not been a Harley Davidson fan; sure every now and then I'd see a decent looking Harley but the chrome, leather and tassels just don't match my Teutonic definition of what a motorcycle should be. I'm more into clean form and performance, at least that's what I tell myself but time has proven that performance is not as important as I'd thought or hoped. What's become important is a comfortable ride with reasonable seat of the pants power, more specifically torque, and a bike that looks as good as it rides. Honestly, I see myself as more a BMW rider than on a Harley Davidson but the new Nightster may just change my mind.
The 2008 Harley Davidson XL1200 Sportster 1200 Nightster is a slick looking machine. It emphasizes the 1200cc power plant, putting it out in the air to cool and show all what a v-twin looks like. The bike itself is retro cool, looking like a modified Sportster 1200L Low, with bobbed fenders, blacked out trim and the ever so bitchin combination tail lights and rear turn signals. For someone like me looking for a less frantic ride than that found on a sportbike and a more confident stance than the tall BMW F650GS Dakar provides, the Harley Davidson Sportster may just be a perfect solution.
I won't know until I've had a chance to ride a Sportster 1200 and get a feel for the handling dynamics of the bike and the feel of the motor; honestly, I'm hoping that it's going to be great but only twisty roads and a bit of highway will tell.

I'm reading: Why the Nightster?Tweet this!

No comments: