Saturday, January 19, 2008

Installing the Tour Master Cruiser II Slant Saddlebags

As mentioned in previous posts I recently purchased a set of the Tour Master Cruiser II Slant Saddlebags, size large, from Tonker.com. I was impressed when the bags arrived two days after ordering (free shipping) and quickly went about getting them installed.

I'd already installed the Harley-Davidson Saddlebag Supports (see previous post) so the work requiring tools was pretty much done. The Tour Master bags out of the box hung a bit high on my 2008 Sportster XL1200 Custom so the first step was to adjust the length (or width depending on how you want to look at it) of the yoke. This is very easy to do, simply untie the know, remove the laces, and then lay the bags across the rear fender.

I aligned the top of the bags with the rear frame rail and then matched the holes on the two sides of the yoke. The overlap was four holes in. With this set I laced up the pieces and tied the knot securely.

To keep the bags from shifting Tour Master provides buckles and links made out of nylon strap. Simply find a spot on the bike to attach the strap and snap the buckle to the bag. I fastened the straps to the saddlebag supports at the back and to the frame below the oil tank/battery cover up front. This is probably overkill but I've read enough posts about accidents caused by luggage getting wrapped around to the rear wheel to get a little freaked.

Bottom line, the installation is very easy, the product very nice, and I'm very happy with my decision to go this route. The bags are not big enough to hold a laptop computer, especially with the slant, but there is enough capacity for my leather jacket (no armor). The bags make the Sportster more versatile, making runs to the video store, post office, etc. very convenient. And for longer trips the bags have enough capacity to store extra shirts, hats, etc. handy to have when riding in areas where the climate and temperature change significantly.

I'm reading: Installing the Tour Master Cruiser II Slant SaddlebagsTweet this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to document your experience with the installation of the saddle bags, etc. on your Sportster.

A few weeks ago I bought an '08 Sportster 1200 Custom and I'm now starting to shop for saddle bags, etc. I was also planning on the lay-back license plate and turn signal relocation kit. Thanks much!

- Jay